Starting your business: A step-by-step small business assistance guide
The Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO) offers various resources and funding opportunities to help you get your business established in Illinois. This guide covers the following:
- Where Do I Start?
- What ownership structure choices do I have?
- Where do I register a business?
- What are my responsibilities as an employer?
- How do I protect my invention, product or idea?
- Where can I go for help?
Strategic business intelligence provided by ReferenceUSA is now available free of charge to Kankakee County, Illinois, industries and entrepreneurs, as well as investors considering relocation to the community. Through a joint partnership with the Kankakee Public Library and the Kankakee County Chamber of Commerce, the following GIS-optimized information is now available to those conducting corporate market and competitive analysis for business and consumer applications:
- U.S. Business data, including business category (SIC and NAICS codes), leadership and contact information, employee size, sales volumes, business expenditures, credit ratings, franchise and brand information, headline news, etc.
- U.S. Historical Business data
- U.S. Consumer/Lifestyle data, including median home values, median home income, personal interests, etc.
- U.S. Jobs/Internships data, including company name, business type, positions available, etc.
All data is optimized for geographic searching and reporting using ReferenceUSA’s state-of-the-art mapping tool. Data can be configured with presentation-ready visualization tools, including user-friendly charts, graphs and maps.
ReferenceUSA, a leading software as a service (SaaS) reference and research database from Infogroup, provides real-time access to more than 24 million businesses and 262 million consumers to researchers, students and job-seekers.
Illinois Manufacturing Excellence Center (IMEC)
IMEC was established in 1996 to improve the productivity and competitiveness of Illinois’ small and mid-sized manufacturing firms. The organization links a company’s long-term plans and related goals with on-site implementation services by identifying performance gaps, solving these gaps, and building a culture to support sustained improvements. IMEC helps optimize operating capacity, implement advanced product and process innovations, increase sales and enter new markets, and improve profitability. Learn more at imec.org
Small Business Saturday
Led by the Kankakee County Chamber of Commerce, Kankakee County Small Business Saturday is a free, cooperative multimedia marketing campaign designed to increase exposure and sales for local small businesses. Held in conjunction with the national American Express campaign each November, our local program features a dedicated online portal where coupons can be created by businesses and shared and downloaded by the public. Chamber membership is not required for businesses to participate in the Kankakee County Small Business Saturday retail promotion.