Date: March 8, 2022
Kankakee Community College has been named a Top 10 Military Friendly® School.
KCC ranks seventh among all small community colleges in the upcoming 2022 Guide to Military Friendly Schools, published in conjunction with “G.I. Jobs” magazine. In addition, KCC is one of only 14 Illinois community colleges to achieve the Military Friendly® designation for the 2022-23 academic year.
“As a veteran, and KCC graduate, I can attest to the difference it makes that the college is welcoming to veterans,” said Jason Rodriguez, advisor to the KCC chapter of the Student Veterans of America.
Typically, KCC has about 60 veterans who enroll each year, according to the college’s Office of Financial Aid. Among veterans, there are 39 KCC student veterans currently utilizing VA Education benefits.
“KCC is very proud to be designated as a Top 10 Military Friendly® School,” said Kendra Souligne, director of Financial Aid & Veteran Services. “We are genuinely committed to assisting those who served or are currently serving in the U.S. military and their family members as they transition into the college setting. Our main goal is to guide them in utilizing their federal and state VA educational benefits and financial aid, all while supporting their personal, professional, and academic goals”
According to Victory Media, which publishes “GI Jobs,” schools were evaluated using both public data sources and responses from its own survey. Ratings were determined by combining the institution’s survey scores with the assessment of the institution’s ability to meet thresholds for Student Retention, Graduation, Job Placement, Loan Repayment, Persistence (Degree Advancement or Transfer) and Loan Default rates for all students and, specifically, for student veterans.
The 2022-23 Military Friendly® Schools list will be published in the May and October issue of G.I. Jobs magazine and can be found at www.militaryfriendly.com.
“Military Friendly® is committed to transparency and providing consistent data-driven standards in our designation process,” said Kayla Lopez, national director of military partnerships, Military Friendly®. “Our standards provide a benchmark that promotes positive outcomes and support services that better the educational landscape and provide opportunity for the Military Community. This creates a competitive atmosphere that encourages colleges to evolve and invest in their programs consistently. Schools who achieve awards designation show true commitment in their efforts, going over and above that standard.”
Military-friendly attributes of Kankakee Community College
- Full-time advisers on staff, including career advising
- Priority registration
- Career Services
- Scholarships for military students and veterans
- Veteran’s Resource Center, which is staffed and offers dedicated resources
- The KCC Veterans Association is an approved chapter of the Student Veterans of America and SALUTE Veterans National Honors Society.
- Military students called to active service return without penalty
- In-district tuition for CH. 33 Post 9/11 and CH. 30 Montgomery GI Bill recipients
- Awards credit for College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and/or DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) exams
- Accepts the ACE recommendations for awarding credit for CLEP and/or DSST
- Gives college credit for military training and experience
- Annual military friendly events: Veteran Stole Ceremony for graduating service members and a Veteran Recognition Ceremony.
- Disability Services
- Tutoring Services
More information about educational benefits for military veterans, spouses and dependents, is at kcc.edu/veterans. Community members and prospective students can request information at veterans.kcc.edu, by emailing email@example.com, or phoning 815-802-8550.