Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy
Kankakee County is in position to strengthen its economy by building upon its current economic base, promoting education as an economic development tool and enhancing quality of life, according to its 2014-19 Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS).
The U.S. Department of Commerce Economic Development Administration certified the county’s CEDS in April 2014, marking the first update to the local community and economic development plan in 26 years. The two-year initiative was led by the Economic Alliance of Kankakee County and involved significant input from elected officials, private-sector leaders and local residents.
Primary goals outlined in the CEDS include:
- Improving infrastructure, including shovel-ready sites
- Increasing investment in new employer recruitment and existing employer retention and expansion efforts
- Supporting entrepreneurship
- Promoting and enhancing local education and workforce development
- Improving the overall local quality of life